TVSB News & Press
TVSB is proud to announce that thanks to a generous gift from one of our longtime members, Closed Captioning is now available on all of our new content. Closed captioning is a valuable feature of TV viewing that provides accessibility and enhances the viewing experience for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. However, the benefits of closed captioning go beyond accessibility. Closed captioning can also provide multilingual support, making it easier for viewers to understand the content in their native language. In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of having closed captioning for TVSB in both English and Spanish.
English Closed Captioning
- Accessibility: Closed captioning provides an important accessibility feature for viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing. It allows them to understand the dialogue and sounds of the program, making it a more inclusive viewing experience.
- Clarity: Closed captioning can improve the clarity of the dialogue for all viewers, even those who are not deaf or hard of hearing. It can help viewers understand accents, mumbled speech, or technical jargon that might be difficult to understand otherwise.
- Multilingual support: Closed captioning can also provide support for viewers who are not fluent in English. English subtitles can help non-native speakers better understand the content, making TV more accessible and inclusive for all.
- Enhanced Learning: Closed captioning can be used as an educational tool, helping viewers learn new vocabulary, spelling, and grammar. It can also be used to assist children who are learning to read, making TV an educational experience.
Spanish Closed Captioning
- Accessibility: Spanish closed captioning provides accessibility for viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing and speak Spanish as their primary language. It makes TV more inclusive and allows Spanish speakers to enjoy their favorite programs.
- Multilingual Support: Spanish closed captioning can also provide multilingual support for English speakers who are learning Spanish or want to improve their comprehension skills.
- Cultural Awareness: Spanish closed captioning can also increase cultural awareness and understanding of the Spanish language and culture. It provides exposure to different accents, dialects, and slang, helping viewers better understand the nuances of the language.
- Language Learning: Spanish closed captioning can also be used for language learning, providing a way to improve comprehension and pronunciation.
Whether you are a native English speaker or a Spanish speaker, closed captioning can enhance your TV viewing experience and make it more inclusive and enjoyable. Getting closed captioning on the channel has been a goal of TVSB’s for some years now and we are thrilled to be able to bring this service to our station! “Closed captioning is an important feature for TV viewers, providing accessibility, clarity, multilingual support, noise-free viewing, and enhanced learning opportunities,” said Erik Davis, Executive Director of TV Santa Barbara. “We are thrilled that closed captioning is now available for all new programming on channels 17 and 71, making community television an inclusive and enjoyable experience for everyone.” Not all of our shows have Closed Captions yet so if you try to turn them on and it doesn’t work, it may just be that the episode you’re watching is older. We have been focusing on new content coming in, and Captioning is now available on episodes of Media Watch, Worthen 101, The Creative Community, Prophetic Flow, 805 Focus, The Good Life and many more.